Smartphones have become part and parcel of everyone’s life. The credit for this goes to the innumerable functionalities a smartphone offers. Some of these functionalities could be online shopping, trading and managing business etc. The smartphone is powered by a battery that is lodged inside the smartphone. Present day mobiles’ battery consumption rate is very high considering all the multiple functionalities that it needs support.
A mobile’s basic functionality which is making and receiving calls tops the list of power consumption of the battery. The rate of consumption depends on whether the phone is in a low signal area or high signal area etc. Apart from this, display of the phone, data services, and GPS etc. are the most common battery drainers in a smartphone. All these add up to the huge demand for power in smartphones. Now let’s try and understand how a power bank works and also review a bit about the multiple different types of power banks available in the market.
- Types of Best Power Bank:
- Best Practices While Using a Power Bank:
- Tips for Determining Best Power Bank In India:
- Top 5 Best Power Banks in India Comprison Table:
Types of Best Power Bank:
Universal Power bank: They come supplied in different sizes and configuration. Based on our budget and purpose of use, we can tailor them according to our need.
Solar charged power bank: These power banks come supplied with photovoltaic cells which can charge the internal battery when exposed to sunlight. However, the downside is getting the batteries charged with sunlight is a long process. Hence, they are also capable of getting charged via USB cable.
Battery phone case: These cases are device specific and are very narrow when it comes to device compatibility. As we all are already aware that Apple has bigger acceptance rate and large market in the US. Hence, these battery phone cases are more common with iPhones. Since they are device specific, the cases that are made for iPhones remain exclusive to those phones and cannot be used to recharge the battery of other phones.
Lithium ion vs Lithium Polymer: Power banks with Lithium-ion battery are generally cheaper and they are not as efficient as Lithium Polymer when it comes to power retention. Meaning, Lithium ion batteries have a faster rate of battery discharge when compared to Lithium Polymer. Also, the Lithium Polymer batteries get charged at a faster rate when compared to the Lithium-ion power banks. Further, Lithium Polymer power banks have increased life span providing more recharge cycles than the Lithium-ion power banks which have less number of recharge cycles. There are the Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries as well. However, they suffer from ‘memory effect’. The memory effect causes them to hold less battery. Hence, Lithium Polymer power bank is best power bank
mAH: mAH is the unit of electric charge and it is the most common way to express the capacity of batteries. The full form of mAH is ‘milli-amp hour’ of ‘mill-ampere hour’. The more the mAH of a battery, the more power the battery can store.
How do I charge a power bank?
Power banks come supplied with a USB input socket and output socket. This may vary in some of the power banks. The USB cable can be plugged into a laptop or it can be directly plugged into a wall socket. Plugging the USB cable into a laptop will consume a lot of time to charge the power bank. Whereas charging it by inserting the USB cable into a wall socket will charge the power bank at a faster rate. The nature of the battery also plays an important role in deciding the rate of charging, the length of time of power retention and also the rate at which power gets discharged.
As mentioned earlier, Lithium Polymer batteries are extremely efficient in retaining power and also have a slow power discharge rate when compared to their counterparts. The rate of getting completely charged also depends on the total capacity of the battery. A power bank with higher capacity or mAH usually takes more time to get completely charged than the one with lower capacity. As mentioned in the beginning, the source of power also plays a determining role when it comes to deciding the total time of charging.
Best Practices While Using a Power Bank:
- Charge the power bank completely before using it
- Do not charge the power banks in the middle. Charge them only when they are completely depleted of their power
- If the power bank is not charging even after proper connection with a smartphone or tablet, it could be because of the inbuilt safety feature that is stopping the device from charging the phone. This inbuilt feature enables the power bank to stop charging in case there are any issues with the smartphone such as an incompatible battery or damaged battery etc. Hence, ensure to check the safety feature before trying to recharge the device
- Do not overcharge the power bank by leaving it for charging overnight. This may be unsafe to the consumer. It could also damage the device
- Do not expose the power bank to sunlight unless it is a solar chargeable power bank
- Do not expose the power bank to exceeding temperatures
Tips for Determining Best Power Bank In India:
While determining the best power bank, one has to understand the multiple features associated with the power bank and ensure that the power bank of our choice supports all these features.
- If you are looking for longevity of power bank, you can go for Lithium Polymer supplied power banks as they provide more number of recharge cycles.
- People with more number of devices for charging should go for power banks with more mAH as the more the mAH, the more power the power bank can supply
- Power bank price is but a deciding factor while purchasing power banks. The Lithium Polymer power banks are a bit costlier than the Lithium-ion battery power banks. Hence, power bank price in India is also a determining factor while choosing the best power bank
- Power banks are generally used for charging devices on the move such as adventurous trips and traveling. Hence, it is advisable to purchase those that are sturdy and are resistant to wear and tear
- With so many players in the power banks market, various companies are adding new and innovative features to power banks such as a torch, data cable etc. Hence, consumer needs to take into consideration those additional features before making a purchase
- More USB ports mean charging multiple devices simultaneously. Hence, one needs to go with a power bank that has more number of USB ports
- Safety features such as surge protection and high voltage protection are important features that need to be considered while purchasing a power bank as voltage fluctuations in India are common and without these features, the device may not survive for long due to the changing voltage. Safety feature is a must in determining the best power bank
- LED indicators is another key feature that comes needy to understand the battery level and is extremely helpful while traveling as based on the LED indicator if the power bank is running low on power, it can be immediately charged
- USB cables come in different lengths and varieties. However, USB cables that are being provided by the company Mi-do not get tangled. Moreover, these USB cables can also be used for data transfer. These multipurpose functionalities of USB cables can be a deciding factor while purchasing the best power bank
- Auto hibernation is another important feature wherein the power bank goes into hibernation mode once the device it is connected is completely charged. This has two benefits. One is the charge in the power bank is saved and the second benefit is over charging of the connected device is prevented. This seems a safety and power saving feature.
- Last but not the least, the build quality of the power bank can also be a deciding factor as a power bank made of plastic is more prone to overheating than the one that is made of a different material
All the above prove important in determining the best power bank.
Top 5 Best Power Banks in India Comprison Table:
# 1-Intex IT-PB11K 11000mAH Power Bank (Black)
Description: This device from Intext comes supplied with 11000 mAh Lithium-ion battery. The 3 USB 2.0 ports allow charging multiple devices such as a smartphone, tablet etc. simultaneously. The unique feature of this power bank is the torch that is present as an inbuilt feature in the device. As with any other power bank, the power bank can be charged with USB cable that comes part of the package.
|LED indicators to show the status of power||Lithium-ion generally have tendency of faster discharge rate|
|3 USB ports for charging multiple devices simultaneously|
|Inbuilt torch feature is unique and is very useful when there is power outage|
#2-PNY BE-740 10400mAH Power Bank (White)
Description: This power bank comes supplied with the extraordinary safety feature of auto turn off while charging other devices and also while loading itself with charge. This not only saves power but also prevents the device of getting overcharged which can reduce the life of the device. This compact device charges the devices at a very fast rate. The inbuilt LED torch comes handy during power outages.
|Powerful 10400mAH battery that can charge all devices at a faster rate||Expensive|
|Auto turn off feature that shuts device to prevent getting overcharged and also to prevent overcharging of devices|
|Very handy LED torch|
# 3-Romoss 10000mAh Power Bank Li-Polymer Battery Polymos 10
Description: Supplied with Lithium Polymer battery, this power bank from Romoss is not only elegant in its looks but also efficient in its performance. As with any Lithium Polymer batteries, this power bank has high power retention capacity and low energy dissipation. Blinking LED lights indicate the capacity of power.
Its advanced safety feature such as the overcharge protection adds more value to the product. High voltage protection and auto switch off after charging are two important features that are worth a mention here. With so many features, the Romoss 10000mAH Power Bank with Lithium-Polymer battery is the best power bank and the brand Romoss is the best power bank brand
|Powerful Lithium Polymer battery with efficient charging||Takes considerable amount of time to get completely charged|
|Safety feature that prevents overcharging and high voltage|
|Blinking LED lights to indicate the power bank charge|
# 4-Mi 20000mAh Power Bank (White)
Description: This power bank comes supplied with Texas Instruments chip that supports rapid charging. The device can be completely charged within 7 hours time. At 338 gms, the power bank is light weight compared to its peers. Compatible to charge with multiple devices, it automatically adjusts output based on the device connected.
The inbuilt chips are not only safe but efficient in charging and discharging. Made out of non-toxic TPE material, the cable is non-damageable and can also be used for data transfers. With features such as rapid charging, efficient charging, and non-toxic built, Mi is the best power bank brand in India
|Powerful 20000mAH battery that can charge all the devices more than twice||Expensive|
|Nontoxic TPE made USB cable that can be used for data transfer|
# 5-Syska Power Pro 200 20000mAH Power Bank (Black)
Description: This powerful 20000mAH power bank is packed with super power that is capable enough to charge two devices simultaneously. The precise IC protection feature keeps the charging devices safe from short circuit or overcharging.
The outer rough and tough body provide enough protection to the power bank which makes it easier and convenient while going on an adventurous trip. Polymer batteries charge faster and also retain battery for longer durations. The automatic hibernation mode helps prevent dissipation of energy when the device is not in use. With so many features, Syska is the best power bank for mobile
Model: Power Pro 200
|Polymer batteries have high capacity of power retention for longer duration||Expensive|
|Automatic hibernation mode prevents dissipation of energy|
|20000mAH power is capable of providing multiple charge cycles|
With features such as fast charging, auto shutoff after complete charging and data transfer cable, the Mi 20000mAh Power Bank (White) definitely stands out of the crowd and is undoubtedly the best power bank in India right now.